Pharmacist Direct Supervision of Interns - Business and Professions Code section 4114
Waiver of the provision of Business and Professions Code section 4114(a) to allow for general supervision of an intern pharmacist at the discretion of the supervising pharmacist under the following conditions:
- The pharmacy documents the need for the supervision modification due to the COVID-19 public health emergency. Examples of documentation may include, but are not limited to, an increased prescription volume, or limitation on staff availability because of shelter-in-place orders or quarantine.
- The intern pharmacist meets one of the following criteria:
- Enrolled in a recognized school of pharmacy with an anticipated graduation date in 2020; or
- Graduated from a recognized school of pharmacy; or
- Is certified by the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Committee.
- The pharmacy maintains a readily retrievable record documenting the intern pharmacists operating under the general supervision of a pharmacist under the waiver and justification of the need. Records must be maintained for one year following the end of the declared emergency.
- Under general supervision, the supervising pharmacist is generally aware of all activities performed by the intern pharmacist without direction from the pharmacist.
Effective: April 21, 2020
Expires: July 19, 2020