Welcome to the California State Board of Pharmacy
The Board of Pharmacy protects and promotes the health and safety of Californians by pursuing the highest quality of pharmacist’s care and the appropriate use of pharmaceuticals through education, communication, licensing, legislation, regulation, and enforcement.
- Pharmacy Law Waivers | How to Request a Pharmacy Law Waiver
- Coadministration with Other Vaccines
- Monoclonal Antibody Treatment
- Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine Available for 12-15 Age Group
- COVID-19 Vaccine Eligibility Expands Statewide in April
- Notice Regarding COVID-19 Vaccine Administration
- DCA Waiver DCA-21-142 Order Waiving Staffing Ratio of Pharmacists to Pharmacy Technicians Relating to Administering COVID-19 Vaccines
- DCA Waiver DCA-20-103 Order Waiving Restrictions on Pharmacy Technicians Relating to Administering COVID-19 Vaccines
- DCA Order DCA-20-45 Waiving Restrictions on Pharmacies, Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians Relating to Ordering, Collecting Specimens for, and Performing COVID-19 Tests – 8/25/20
- Important Information for Licensees (PDF) – 4/14/20
- Application to Restore Your License – Updated 4/2/20
- COVID-19 FAQ
- Sources for Compounded Products in High Demand – Updated 1/26/21
- Guidance Documents
- Guidance on Eligible Personnel for Vaccines Administered in Pharmacies
- CDPH: Guidance for Pharmacies, Pharmacists, and Pharmacy Technicians Performing Waived, Point-of-Care COVID-19 Tests
- Guidance for Pharmacies, Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians Ordering, Collecting Specimens for, and Performing COVID-19 Tests – August 25, 2020
- CDPH: Guidance for Pharmacies and Pharmacy Staff
- Cal/Osha: Protecting Workers from Coronavirus
- CDC: Considerations for Pharmacies during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- FDA: Face Masks and Respirators
- FDA: Compounding Hand Sanitizer (PDF) – Updated 3/27/20
- DCA/MBC/BOP: Improper Prescriptions Related to COVID-19 Treatment
- California Health Corps – How Health Care Professionals Can Help
- DCA Licensing Waivers | FAQs
- California Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response
- CDPH COVID-19 Updates
- CDC COVID-19 Updates
- On January 27, 2021, Governor Gavin Newsom issued an Executive Order that extends liability protections to specified licensees participating in the State’s vaccination administration program. It also directs the boards, bureaus and committees within the Department of Consumer Affairs that regulate healthcare professionals to prioritize certain investigations relating to vaccine administration. Read the full text of the Executive Order here: https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/1.27.21-EO-N-02-21.pdf.
- California Governor Gavin Newsom has authorized new tax relief and grants to businesses impacted by COVID-19 restrictions. The California State Board of Pharmacy is encouraging licensees to determine their eligibility for relief, which includes Tax Relief for Businesses Impacted by COVID-19, $500 Million for New COVID Relief Grant for Small Business, and Increase Funding for the California Rebuilding Fund. For more information, read Governor Newsom’s news release or visit the Business and Employers section of the state’s COVID19.ca.gov website.
- Health Care Workers and Vaccination Requirements
To further protect vulnerable Californians and health care workers, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) recently issued two public health orders:
- The first order requires workers in health care settings to be fully vaccinated or receive their second dose by September 30, 2021.
- The second public health order directs hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, and intermediate care facilities to verify that visitors are fully vaccinated or have tested negative for COVID-19 in the prior 72 hours before indoor visits.
Additionally, local public health departments may have or issue orders with vaccination requirements that apply to licensees and settings beyond the California Department of Public Health’s orders.
Licensees are encouraged to thoroughly read the CDPH public health orders and regularly check their local public health departments website for additional vaccination requirements. To find a local public health department website, visit: https://covid19.ca.gov/get-local-information/#County-websites.
Important Information for Consumers
- New Requirements for Paper Prescription Forms (PDF DCA Webpage)
- Brochures and Fact Sheets
- Complaints - How to File
- Disaster Planning – Preparing for an Emergency Evacuation
- Drug Takeback: Find a Drop-off Location
- Health Services Registry – Search
- Medicare Drug Discount Program
- Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention
Important Information for Licensees
- Cannabidiol – Legal Status of Products (PDF); Accessible Version (PDF) 1/24/19
- Corresponding Responsibility
- Prescribers with Restricted Authority to Prescribe Controlled Substances
- CURES – New Requirements
- FDA Extends Enforcement of 5 Percent Limit on Out-of-State Distribution of Compounded Human Drug Products
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Health Services Registry – Licensee Sign-Up
- Scam Calls Alert (PDF)
- Declared States of Emergency
- Congratulations to California’s 40-Year Pharmacists!
ALERT: EFFECTIVE APRIL 1, 2021 – CURES Fee Increase
Effective April 1, 2021, the Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System (CURES) fee will increase from $6 to $11 annually for a period of two years. The increase will be applied to licenses expiring on or after July 1, 2021, and is assessed at the time of license renewal on specified licensees of the California State Board of Pharmacy that prescribe, order, administer, furnish, or dispense Schedule II, Schedule III, Schedule IV, or Schedule V controlled substances.
Most licensees will see a $22 CURES fee due to the biennial renewal cycle. The fee covers the reasonable regulatory costs of the Department of Justice for operating and maintaining CURES, a critical element in the state’s effort to address the growing danger of opioid addiction stemming from prescription drug abuse.
For more information about CURES, visit https://oag.ca.gov/cures.
- Ask an Inspector
- Change of Address/Name
- Continuing Education
- Enforcement Actions
- Laws and Regulations
- License Renewal by Mail
- License Renewal Online
- License Search
- Publications and Reports
- Recall Notices
- The Script - Archive
- Security Prescription Forms Reported Stolen or Fraudulent
- Subscriber Alerts - Sign Up for Email Notifications