Pharmacy Technician License
To be licensed as a Pharmacy Technician in California, you must satisfy the requirements under Business and Professions Code section 4202.
- Pharmacy Technician Application and Instructions (PDF)
- Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB)
- National Healthcare Association Pharmacy Technician Certification Program (ExCPT)
Effective January 1, 2017, the Board will accept ExCPT certifications dated On or After January 1, 2017. ExCPT certifications received prior to January 1, 2017 will not be accepted.
- Instructional Video on How to Complete the Application (YouTube)
Checking on the Status of Your Pharmacy Technician Application?
- Allow the board 45 days to process your application before checking on the status.
- The board will notify you by mail if your application is not complete.
- If you do not receive a deficiency letter, please check the board’s website daily to verify if your license has been issued.
- To verify if your license has been issued, please check the board’s website by conducting a License Search. Verification of licensure from the board’s website is proof of licensure.
- Licenses are printed and mailed from a third party. New licenses should be received between four to six weeks after a license is issued and will be sent to the address of record on file with the board.
Important information regarding the renewal of your pharmacy technician license.
- Renewal notices are sent out to the address of record approximately 90 days prior to the expiration date of a license.
- If you do not receive a renewal notice, you may download the Online Renewal Application from the board's website. As the licensee, it is your responsibility to know when your license expires.
- Verify your license has been renewed and your address of record by conducting a license search at Verify a License.
- If you fail to renew your license within 90 days of the expiration date, the license will be cancelled pursuant to section 4402(e) of the Business and Professions Code.
- Once the license has been cancelled, you must submit a new application (including all documents) and meet all requirements in effect at the time of reapplication.
When sending a message to the board, please provide the following in your correspondence:
- Full Name
- File Number, License Number, or Date of Birth
- Date you submitted the application or deficiency item
- Provide a description of the reason for your inquiry