1702. Pharmacist Renewal Requirements
(a) A pharmacist applicant for renewal who has not previously submitted fingerprints as a condition of licensure or for whom an electronic record of the licensee's fingerprints does not exist in the Department of Justice's criminal offender record identification database shall successfully complete a state and federal level criminal offender record information search conducted through the Department of Justice by the licensee's renewal date that occurs on or after December 7, 2010.
(1) A pharmacists shall retain for at least three years as evidence of having complied with subdivision (a) either a receipt showing that he or she has electronically transmitted his or her fingerprint images to the Department of Justice or, for those who did not use an electronic fingerprint system, a receipt evidencing that his or her fingerprints were recorded and submitted to the Board.
(2) A pharmacist applicant for renewal shall pay the actual cost of compliance with subdivision (a).
(3) As a condition of petitioning the board for reinstatement of a revoked or surrendered license, or for restoration of a retired license, an applicant shall comply with subdivision (a).
(4) The board may waive the requirements of this section for licensees who are actively serving in the United States military. The board may not return a license to active status until the licensee has complied with subdivision (a).
(b) As a condition of renewal, a pharmacist applicant shall disclose on the renewal form whether he or she has been convicted, as defined in Section 490 of the Business and Professions Code, of any violation of the law in this or any other state, the United States, or other country, omitting traffic infractions under $500 not involving alcohol, dangerous drugs, or controlled substances.
(c) Failure to provide all of the information required by this section renders an application for renewal incomplete and the board shall not renew the license and shall issue the applicant an inactive pharmacist license. An inactive pharmacist license issued pursuant to this section may only be reactivated after compliance is confirmed for all licensure renewal requirements.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 4001.1 and 4005, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 490, 4036, 4200.5, 4207, 4301, 4301.5, 4311 and 4400, Business and Professions Code; and Sections 11105(b)(10) and 11105(e), Penal Code.
Note for pharmacists licensed prior to 2001: Have you complied with submitting your fingerprints electronically to the board? Email the board at email@example.com to verify if you have met the fingerprint requirements to renew your pharmacist license pursuant to Title 16, California Code of Regulations 1702(a).
- Renew Online
PLEASE NOTE: If your license expired more than two years ago, you are not able to renew your license online. Please mail the renewal application and payment to the board.
- Renew by Mail (PDF)
NOTE: If your license expired prior to July 1, 2017, please contact the board at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance calculating the renewal fees due.
- Inactive Status
- Has Your License Expired?
- Continuing Education Information
- Pharmacist Renewal Live Scan Form (California)
- Request Fingerprint Cards (Out of State Applicants)
- Retired Pharmacists
- Law and Ethics Webinar
- Change in Pharmacist-in-Charge (PDF)
- License Verification to Another State Agency
- Supervision of an Intern Pharmacist
- Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005 (PDF)
- Compounding FAQs (PDF)
- Emergency Contraception Information
- Controlled Substance Utilization, Review and Evaluation System (CURES) and Controlled Substance Prescriptions
Pharmacist Fingerprint Requirements: email@example.com
Continuing Education: firstname.lastname@example.org
Change of Pharmacist-in-Charge: email@example.com